Any major change in environment is likely to cause stress in pets. Moving is one of those changes that turns a pet’s life upside down. Packing, moving, a flow of people in and of your house can all confuse and possibly scare pets. But not to worry, there are several things you can do to reduce their stress and ensure their safety while a moving company is working in your house.
Communicate with Your Moving Company
- Let your moving company know that you have pets in the house.
- Make your company aware of how many cats, dogs, and other animals you have and where they will be during the process.
City Moving and Storage cares about your pets’ well-being as well as your own. Communicating with us about your pets allows us to work with you and them in order to make the moving process as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Keep Pets in a Fixed Area
- If possible, keep your pets contained to one area or room of your house during the moving process.
- Move that area last so your pets remain undisturbed until the last possible moment.
- While pets are tucked away in designated areas, don’t force them out of hiding spots.
Keeping your pets contained to one area of the house may not be the norm for them; however, it gives them a safe place to hang out while the movers work. It also reduces the chance of escape and underfoot accidents.
Keep Them with Familiar Items and Routines
- Keep beds, blankets, and toys with your pets to provide comfort and familiarity in an unfamiliar situation.
- Make sure pets have access to food and plenty of fresh water.
- As much as possible, keep to their regular feeding, walking, and medication schedules.
Having items with them that they know and love helps comfort your pets during a move. It can be a bit of a challenge to keep to your pets routines during this time, but it’s important to them to keep as much regularity as possible.
Keep Calm around Pets
- Avoid projecting your own stress onto your pets.
- Check on them from time to time and reassure them.
- Speak to them calmly and normally.
Your pets will notice and react to changes in you. If you are stressed and nervous, so will they be. We at City Moving and storage strive to make the entire moving process as seamless as possible for you and your pets. Keep calm and rest assured. Your pets will see and feel that and, in turn, will feel less stressed.
Moving with pets is sometimes a delicate operation. Use the above tips to make the experience a better one for your pets. At City Moving and Storage, we work with our customers to make every move as easy and comfortable as possible. To learn more about pets and moving, or if you have any questions, please contact us.